Monday, September 19, 2011

No means No... #Real Men Don't Rape

If you were anywhere in social networks this weekend, you will know the story that is beating every female down. The Gang-Rape of a girl at Abia State University (ABSU) in Nigeria. I was lost and did not get a glimpse of the insensitive remarks made on Twitter. If you have not been following, I have provided links here to pieces of this that will help you understand what is going on:

Initial Story Break by Linda Ikeji

Identifying the Rapists and Personal Experience shared by Sugabelly

A perspective on the Situation on Bella Naija

An update on the current situation by Linda Ikeji

Petition to Bring the 5 men to Justice

I'll be honest, everything there is to be said about this rape incident has been said.
And if the University is truly denying that this event took place at their school or by their students, I pray that the victim has the courage to state explicitly whether or not this is a lie.

I think it is important for people to take responsibility, it makes no sense why they would deny this to divert the stigma of being a rapist University. The truth is the Truth and attempts at denying will only serve further destroy the credibility of ABSU!

I am still pretty frozen because Rape is the one thing I fear the most; I can`t imagine what.... I can't even continue. I'm keeping my ear to the ground to see if there is any way I can help. If the opportunity presents itself I know I will. The mothers and sister of the boys involved should strive to bring them to justice.

I wonder how other boys feel about this. Are they angry? Sympathetic? Indifferent? Cynical?

No one deserves to be raped. And I pray for those who are de-sensitized enough to make rash comments about the incident. Some things should not be joked about. I blame the media, nothing seems unusual to us anymore. Nothing is sacred. We see it all the time, hear about it all the time. It becomes 'just' another incident. I pray that I remain HUMAN amidst a world that is losing their humanity.

For all those who have been victims, I have no words of advice. I just pray for your healing.



Yours Truantly,

5 comments:

Sugabelly said...

Thanks for posting this. And yes, real men don't rape.

What happened to that girl is beyond terrible but the real travesty is the reaction of the governor who said it was staged by his political detractors.

Onyinye FaFi Obi said...

TRUTH!
Tell 'em!
couldnt watch the video. those guys deserve to be punished.

doll said...

as in...do not know what to say. it is so traumatic

bob-ij said...

Sugabelly::: It doesn't make sense to me. I don't see what the gain is in saying it did not happen there. Still stunned!

Onyinye::: I can't watch either. The story is enough for me.

doll::: Dear, I know what you mean.

~x~

Anonymous said...

it's really pathetic. I'm sure that if it happened to me, ABSU and Abia state and their parents would be doing the candle light for all five of them. So next time they would learn to do the right thing.
wicked boys. they just deserve to die.