Saturday, December 10, 2011

We Never Forget 10/12

Only one thing can pull me out of my Blogger Hiatus and that's the Remembrance of December 10th, 2005. It is so easy to forget...but in this case, 'out of sight is not out of mind'. I was at the Memorial Hall built at my school,Loyola Jesuit College and I started to see all the names and faces of the 60 angels lost in the Sosoliso Plane Crash. It is overwhelming now that I'm older. Imagining how the crash happened. 6 years later the same people that were at my house when we received the news were there again for Memorial Service. That is how close we are. And then I realize, 60 people I knew passed away. I start to ask myself the significance, why not 57 or 45 or None! Why the perfect number, 60? There was a purpose, there had to be. But is it being realized? Are thee fire trucks at the airport now? Is there an emergency service ready for rescue efforts? Is there oxygen at the hospitals in Nigeria? Enough to save lives? Have the navigation systems being upgraded in the country? I'm not optimistic about the answer to my questions and that's what is so frustrating. You ask yourself if it is was worth 60 lives when our country has such a short term memory?  I don't think about my darling Hadiza everyday but a week doesn't go by that I haven't thought about her. And each time, the dull ache returns to my heart. I have vivid dreams about her sometimes all grown-up and still scolding me. LOL. You'd wonder if I was really 3 years older. I still call her my Big Little Sister. Not just on this day, we think about you, and the promise your lives held. We live for you, you live through us. We now speak with Hope that we will work towards a better country, better lives and a better future.  60 Angels.... 60 .... We hope to do you proud. We've taken on a big task. Rest in Peace and in our hearts forever "To love in the hearts of those you love is not to die" RIP Hadiza.... Waji.... Zikora... Chisom.... Chuka... Whitney.... Chinenye....Toke.... Wole... Chidinma.... Ibiso... Chinweoke.... Peter... Onyeka .... Ibra... Buso .... Richard ... Sandra ... Ijeamaka ... Augustine ... Nkem .... And the list continues...

2 comments:

Sugabelly said...

I think this was the first time I managed not to cry or even feel sad.

I hope this country gets better for their sake if not for ours

~Sirius~ said...

Another year. May their souls rest in peace